News

Edward Davey statement on first Green Deal statistics publication

Statement by Energy and Climate Change Secretary Edward Davey on today’s first Green Deal statistics publication Commenting on today’s first Green Deal statistics publication, Energy and Climate Change Secretary Edward Davey said: “We’re seeing clear signs of a promising new market gathering momentum. In little more than a month, there have been 1,803 Green Deal […]

Ottery St Mary family treated for CO poisoning

Seven people have been treated in hospital for suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said crews were sent to a property in Hill View, Ottery St Mary, after a CO detector alarm was activated. The family of seven was initially treated at the scene by paramedics before being taking to […]

Court spotlight on Hull landlord’s safety neglect

A private landlord in Hull is facing the threat of jail after ignoring repeated warnings about gas safety and exposing tenants to a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Hull Magistrates heard today (28 February) that Colin Hanson, 55, of Goddard Avenue, had ‘blatantly and deliberately disregarded’ a law designed to protect tenants from the potentially […]

Gas Safety Trust calls for more research into CO poisoning

Speaking following the tragic death of a family at a caravan park in Camborne, Cornwall at the weekend from suspected carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, Professor Mary Benwell, past Chair and Research Coordinator at the Gas Safety Trust said: “Government and gas industry initiatives have led to a significant decrease in the number of deaths caused […]

Written ministerial statement by Gregory Barker on the publication of the government response to the Renewable Heat Incentive consultation

WMS on the response to our consultation, “Renewable Heat Incentive: providing certainty, improving performance” In July last year, I published a formal consultation setting out our ambition to introduce greater certainty and make improvements to the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI). Since then DECC has engaged extensively with stakeholders on our proposals and received over 100 […]

Carbon monoxide detectors for Cornish foster families

Carbon monoxide (CO) detectors are to be installed at 200 foster carer homes in Cornwall The detectors were given to Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) and the Gas Safe charity. CO is produced by the incomplete burning of fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. […]

Camborne family die in suspected CO poisoning

An elderly couple and their daughter have died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a caravan park. Firefighters and a specialist hazardous material advisor attended the property at Tremarle Home Park, North Roskear, Camborne on Saturday afternoon. Devon and Cornwall Police said the man, aged 90, and the two women, aged 86 and 46 were […]

PENSIONER hospitalised with carbon monoxide poisoning after a faulty boiler fumes

Emergency crews were called to a property near Wargrave Road, Newton-le-Willows, shortly before 8.30pm last Thursday (February 14). On arrival, paramedics became concerned about the presence of carbon monoxide and called for backup from the fire brigade. The occupier, an elderly man, was taken to Whiston Hospital for treatment, however the hospital was not placed […]

Carbon monoxide warning to pupils in play by Theatr na n’Og

The dangers of carbon monoxide are being dramatised in a children’s play which will tour schools in Swansea. Neath-based Theatr na n’Og’s 30-minute drama targets primary school age children in the hope they will pass messages on to grandparents. It says the older generation is most at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning. Grandparents are invited […]

Father and son prosecuted for illegal gas work

A father and son from Crewe have been prosecuted for their involvement in carrying out illegal gas work. Peter Cavanagh, 57, and his son Shane, 24, both of Oak Tree Close and trading as Gas Master, were involved in the installation of central heating in a flat in Swan Mews, Market Drayton, between October 2011 […]