Gas in Void Properties

Home Forums ASCP Forum Gas in Void Properties

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Craig Cook
    Participant

Hi all

I was hoping to get some replies from the sector to add some weight behind a heated discussion I am having with various stakeholders within my organisation. Very simply what do others do in consideration to Gas in void properties?
    Does anyone leave gas on in the voids as long as there is an in date LGSR?
    Does anyone cap off no matter what?
    Does anyone cap off and uncap where required and recap at the end of the day?

I appreciate any replies; it will be really helpful to see what others do and the reasons behind their decisions if you are happy to share,

Kind Regards
    Craig Cook, Bristol City Council

Alison Silverback
    Participant

Hi Craig,

We always cap gas in void properties and will complete an uncap and service at the start of a new tenancy. The incoming tenant will be supplied with the gas cap LGSR upon sign up and an appointment is arranged for the day the tenancy starts for our contractor to attend to uncap and service the gas appliances.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Ali Silverback, Havebury Housing Partnership

Anonymous
    Inactive

Morning Craig

We are instructed by our client to carryout operational tests if possible, i.e., if there is gas and electric available, then cap at the beginning of each void. We then go back on the day the new resident moves in, to uncap, service, safety check and new LGSR.

Our client, and we, are of the opinion that, regardless of the extend of the void works, anything can unwittingly happen during the void period, e.g. a nail through a gas pipe, flue/boiler boxed in, old cooker/fire removed leaving open end, etc. etc. By capping at beginning and uncapping upon occupation, you are able to manage those risks.

Anthony Frith
    Correct Contract Services

Craig Cook
    Participant

Hi

Thank you for the replies so far that is really helpful

Kind Regards
    Craig

Darren Mould
    Participant

From a safety perspective, absolutely cap on the day it goes void. It’s something I’ve insisted on since coming into post. My background as a gas engineer has given me the experience that when an empty property gets broken into the first thing that tends to go is the copper pipework. If the thieves don’t have the sense to turn off a live gas supply then the repercussions could be catastrophic.

At least with it capped, if there were a break in and the gas copper pipe was taken then the risk of a leak would be mitigated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.